Monday, October 24, 2011

STI: I can't live without Asian food

Dec 19, 2004
I can't live without Asian food
by Teo Pau Lin

MS CLAIRE Beswick is the general manager of Gulf Air's South-east Asian operations.

The airline is owned by the Middle Eastern states of Oman, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. It won several industry awards this year, including the prestigious SkyTrax Excellence Award for most improved airline.

Born in Britain, Ms Beswick grew up in Singapore in the late 1960s. Her father was a flight engineer for the British Royal Air Force so her family was based here for five years.

The family then moved on to live in Africa, Malta and New Zealand. In the latter, she worked as a country manager for the BBC World Service from 1994 for two years.

Poised and elegant, the 37-year-old has 12 years of experience in the airline industry, having started her career with British Airways and moving on to Air New Zealand.

She is married to a British shipbroker and describes her marriage as a 'packaged deal' as she is stepmother to three girls aged 13, 16 and 18.

What do you remember most about Singapore food in the 1960s?

My family lived in Taman Siglap in the East Coast area. Every day, there was this kueh tutu seller who would push his cart down our street, and I remember rushing out to buy them because I absolutely adored them. I could eat 10 at a go. Whenever I smell it now, it takes me right back 30 plus years.

How has being weaned on Asian food affected your palate?

I can't go three days without Asian food. When I was younger, I used to drive my mother crazy because I'd make her cook sweet and sour anything with rice. But somehow it's never the same when your mother makes it.

Outside of Singapore, which city serves the best Singapore food?

Poon's in London's Covent Garden served Singapore food but it used to be very posh, which was odd for hawker fare. But it's since moved downmarket to Chinatown, which I think is better. In Wellington, you can find genuine samosas, mee goreng and the best satay in Singara restaurant in Manners Mall.

Can you cook Singapore food?

You bet. I can do laksa, and I just did beef rendang recently. It took me two whole days, but it was fabulous, even if I say so myself.

What do you serve when you entertain friends?

A few old favourites like Stilton cheese, martini and spinach soup, and pan-fried foie gras. My husband can do it really well. I think it's that caveman instinct, you know? Men just know what to do with meat.

Which eateries do you take your foreignvisitors to?

Liang Seah Eating Place in Liang Seah Street. I know the owner so well, I don't even need to order. The food just comes. They would serve hotplate beancurd, which just melts in your mouth, crunchy stir-fried kailan and Hong Kong mee, which is the best.

Where are your other eating haunts?

Senso in Club Street, which serves absolutely reliable Italian food. I love The Cliff in Sentosa because no matter what seafood you order, it's always great. And Lingzhi vegetarian restaurant in Far East Square. It has one of the best hot and sour soups.

What's your most sinful indulgence?

I'm a chocoholic. I can eat a 1kg bar of chocolate in one sitting if I'm left alone.

Which restaurant in the world would you fly to specially to eat?

Raymond Blanc's Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons in Oxford. Six years ago, my husband and I were on holiday in England when he surprised me by getting a reservation there, which usually has a month-long waiting list. It has two Michelin stars, and was terribly civilised with black dresses and lapels everywhere. I ordered the tomato soup, and when it arrived, it was incredible - a clear liquid with no skin, no pips. It was literally juice from God-knows-how-many tomatoes. The foie gras was mind-blowingly superb, and the dessert was amazing. I would fly back there just to eat.

How much did the meal cost?

Oh, I wouldn't even dare ask my husband. All I know is, he didn't buy me any diamonds that year.

WHAT WOULD YOUR LAST MEAL BE?

'It'll be a toss-up between hot and sour soup with steamed rice or mee siam. If I may, I'll get dessert from Blanc's Le Manoir restaurant flown in - a platter of sorbet that's designed like an artist's palette. It's such a work of art that I'd probably just look at it and not eat it.'

No comments:

Post a Comment